Friday, October 3, 2014

Winix WAC6300 4-Stage,True HEPA Air Cleaner

Bought this to replace a six year old Honeywell that finally bit the dust, and I couldn't be happier. It really does perform as promised. Most of the time, it runs on the lowest setting, so quiet I had to put my ear on it to believe it was actually working. But if I light a cigarette, within a few seconds it kicks up a notch, then another, runs on high for a few minutes, then shuts back down to low. It so far has reacted to cleaning products and cooking, although strangely not to incense. Turbo setting makes a lot of noise, but since I almost never need to use it, it doesn't matter.

The front panel has the intake vents, directed straight out, with additional intake on the sides. The cleaned air comes out the top, rather than blowing horizontally into the room and making a draft. The whole footprint is so much smaller than the Honeywell, which didn't do nearly as good a job. I can actually see the smoke moving towards it.

Someone commented that it uses 90 watts, which may be true on turbo, but I'm sure the low setting, where it runs most of the time, is probably only 6 watts. And instead of running constantly on medium, it really does seem to be reactive to odors. In order to shut off the turbo you have to turn the unit off and then back on, where it resets to the default auto setting. Also not sure about the plasma wave thing, was getting headaches with it running all the time, but that could be from other factors, so time will tell.

Not happy that I'll have to replace the hepa filter, but that's probably the biggest drawback I can see. It came with three extra charcoal filters, which will last a long time, (3 months each, per directions) and unlike the Honeywell, the filters are extremely easy to access and change, a big plus.

Overall, I'm really happy with this purchase. Wish it was made in US, but it's Korea, not China, which is something.

Save 13% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment