Friday, October 3, 2014

DeLonghi PAC700T Pinguino Portable Air Conditioner

I purchased the PAC600T (one step below this unit) from Amazon one year ago. When it arrived, I filled the tank with water, inserted it in the unit and my floor was covered with water less than a minute later. Turns out the unit's plastic base housing was cracked during shipment. Amazon replaced the unit, with the same results for the second unit. At that same time, there must have been lots of returns because Amazon stopped selling the unit. I stepped up to this unit with its slightly higher BTUs and hefty price.

The unit arrived fine, no leaks after filling with water, and I used it most of last summer (in a 14' x 20' room with average height ceiling). The unit puts out cool, definitely not cold, air. The only way to really use the unit is to get it started when the temperature isn't too high, then keep it running. I don't think it would be able to cool a warm room. It simply isn't overly powerful. That may have to do with the fact that it operates at 110 volt, rather than 220 like many AC units that are built into apartment walls.

The unit has been sitting behind my couch all winter. When I went to use it this year, the removable plastic water tank was cracked. It was emptied at the end of the season and not exposed to excessive temperatures, so I don't know what that's about.

I assumed that with the high BTU (and price tag), this would be the unit to use. But I'm going to try one of the less expensive units this year and check out its performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment