Friday, May 16, 2014

Essick Air 821-000 Digital Control Evaporative Console Humidifier

Recently moved from New England to mid-Atlantic area. So although not as dry as the northeast, it gets dry when the temps go down. I hadn't used it for 2 years but dragged it out of the attic when this December/January cold snap hit the D.C. area. It works as well as I remember.

Easy to fill. Just roll it over to the bathroom and use the handheld shower massager to fill it fast. You can also screw a hose adapter on to your kitchen sink and cut an old hose to 4 ft length to fill it really fast. I used a quick release adapter so I didn't have to screw the hose on.

Holds 6 gallons and will dump 6 gallons in to the air over a 24 hour period, which is nice because I only have to fill it once a day (before bed usually). It's nearly silent on low mode. Hygrometer is accurate and easy to set. I usually set it for 50 and it will shut off when the house gets to 55% (it's a little off). Running it on high will dump a lot of moisture in the air quick. I just wouldn't want to sit in the same room with it running on high.

I've had this one for at least 5 or 6 years and it's reliable, easy to fill, great automatic function, runs long time. I gave up on the heat-type humidifiers and the ultrasonic. They are a pain in the butt compared to something like this (and won't humidify an entire house).

Cleaning is a snap, about once a week you can just pour some humidifier cleaner in it and the anti-bacteria stuff, hit it with a sponge and rinse it out.

Automatic float function can be damaged if you're not careful with it. It's basically a foam block at the bottom with a piece of plastic going up to the float switch.

Oh one more thing...I've owned many humidifiers and always end up coming back to evaporation type humidifiers because they require the least amount of care. One thing to avoid...do not ever buy the type of evaporative humidifiers with the removable bottles (like the bigger BEMIS and Essick). I've owned a couple different of this bottle style and one thing is always certain, The bottles are a pain to fill, eventually leak, or come defective from the factory (holes on seams).

This console humidifier doesn't have bottles. Just a big open container. It has wheels and is easy to roll. I highly recommend you get this style if you can roll your humidifier to a bathroom or kitchen. For kitchen, get a garden hose adapter and a 5ft length of hose, and you'll fill it quick with no lifting. As I said before, I have a hand held shower nozzle in my bathroom next to the living room. I just roll this thing up to the tub and fill it with the hand held shower nozzle then roll it right back.

One more thing...since moving to D.C. the tank has stayed very clean after running 3 weeks pretty much non-stop. When in New England (also on town water there) I found it would crud up (brown gunk and sometimes mold) and the filter would gunk up quicker up there too. I suspect how much cleaning you have to do might be tied to the quality of your tap water. You could use distilled water but that would be a pain to buy, take home and fill.

Cleaning: I haven't had to clean it yet (the tank) this winter. The rest could use some dusting (as you can see by my pics). I should probably use humidifier cleaner but I don't. I bought Spray Nine cleaner (Home Depot as it and some hardware stores. I spray the whole interior tank, let it sit for ten minutes and rinse out in tub with hot water. Spray Nine is the best cleaner I've used and it will clean anything with a soak. Just make sure to rinse it really well with hot water so you don't get foam when you fill the tank again. Oh and don't clean it with the Spray Nine when the wick is in there or it will be foam city and you will have to throw out the wick.

I know this is a lengthy review, but there are so many crummy humidifiers on the market and this one is the best I've owned. I couldn't quite make out from the package how the controls worked hence my detailed captioned pics and review. I hope this has helped you decide whether or not this is the unit for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment