Monday, February 10, 2014

Sharp KC-850U Plasmacluster Air Purifier

If you're looking for a nearly silent purifier, this unit does it. Granted you need to keep it on low for those super-quiet noise levels.

Pros:

* Filters extremely well

* Quiet

* Water tank easy to remove

* LED lights can be turned off

Cons:

* Water tank empties in 8 hours on low, less on higher fan levels

* Water tank doesn't have a handle for holding it "upside down" while filling. Makes it slightly more awkward when filling in the tub bent over.

* Unit is decent sized and is floor model. It's no huge, but it's not small either

The unit also has LED's the purport to tell you how "clean" the air is... how many particles are floating in the air. My house gets quite dusty, but I've still never seen the unit display anything but "all green" on this display. Perhaps it doesn't work on my unit, or perhaps it doesn't work well. And it's this gauge which makes the unit go into a higher fan mode when the air is dirty and the unit is in auto mode. So my unit never leaves low fan. So at this point I manually turn it to medium or high when I'm not in the room.

I'm not sure if it's worth the price here on Amazon, > $350 currently. But I also have never purchased another purifier. Maybe it does work much better than the competition and is worth that price. However I found the unit on clearance at Best Buy and paid less than $200. At that price point, I consider it a worthwhile investment.

Save 25% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment