Friday, February 7, 2014

Big Berkey Water Filter-2 Black Filters

I want to love my Berkey. I know people who love theirs. And it certainly is attractive. Unfortunately, we had to replace the filters 3 times in the first 6 months. The first time we noticed the chlorine taste returning to our water. After that, we just spot checked periodically with the red dye. Sometimes we could flush the filter and it would take care of the problem, other times not. Then we would call the company, who would very nicely send out another filter set (FREE, please note that we weren't charged for new filters each time). One time the filter caps fell right off (the company said it was a bad batch).

So now I'm paranoid. If we don't test every batch of water, how do we know the filters are actually working? Most of the time, we couldn't tell by taste that they were failing; it was only the presence of red dye in the water when we tested that alerted us. I wouldn't feel comfortable at ALL trusting these filters if my health depended on it, like in a disaster or third world country. It makes me wonder how often everybody else is red dye testing their water. Probably not very often, if my experience is anywhere near typical.

On top of that, I gave up completely on the fluoride filters, which were one of my main reasons for purchasing the Berkey. No amount of flushing could get rid of the taste.

Now the plastic spigot handle has broken off (two pieces of plastic 1/16" in size at most were holding it on, one of them broke). It'll only cost $19 to replace it. My husband stuck a key ring in the hole and we're getting by until I throw the whole thing out the window or breakdown and buy the part. I'm shopping for alternatives if anybody can recommend a better filter.

They do get points for good customer service, though the company could never explain WHY the filters kept failing. I appreciated them sending the replacements out right away, but it gets pretty annoying to have to wait to use it till new filters arrive and then wonder how long until those ones go bad. Which reminds me, I need to go dye my water. Fingers crossed...

Save 9% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment