Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Kaz Incorporated V3900 Germ Free Cool Mist Humidifier

We used to have a Crane duck humidifier (that worked really well) in our toddler's room, but it broke when I dropped it earlier this winter. I bought this Vick's humidifier as a replacement because it "Sanitizes the water with UV Technology while reducing up to 99.9% of bacteria, mold, and spores". This was a big selling point for me, and I thought it would be worth the cost. We have been using this humidifier for 2+ months, and I am very disappointed for the following reasons:

1. We need a humidifier because the winters are very dry here. My son's skin tends to be dry, his nose especially. It does not seem like this humidifier is helping at all. His skin and nose are just as dry. This humidifier puts out "invisible, moisture-balanced air", so it just feels like a cool fan blowing, and you can't actually see the mist. I'm not sure if being able to see (or not see) the mist makes any difference, but something isn't working because it is still too dry in his small room.

2. There are three levels: High (max moisture), Medium (moisture maintenance mode), and Low (sound sleeping mode). So yes, this humidifier is pretty quiet, but only on the "Low" setting. I thought I could just crank it up to "High" to put more moisture in the air, but on that setting the humidifier is too loud and my son is unable to sleep through it. So I tried "Medium", which is a little loud, but still not helping with the dryness. I have tried "High" during the day/"Low" at night, and also "Medium" all the time, but it is still too dry in his room.

3. We use a sound-only baby monitor in our son's room. When the humidifier setting is on "Medium" or "High", we are unable to hear anything through the monitor except the humidifier. It's not that big of a deal for us (because we don't really need to use the monitor for our toddler), but take this into consideration if you are buying this for an infant's room.

4. This 1-gallon tank is supposed to last for up to 24 hours. It does, but only if you leave it on "Low" all of the time. When left on "Medium", it has to be refilled every 16 hours, approximately.

On the plus side, it is easy to fill, and the reservoir does seem to stay cleaner than the Crane did. These are the only reasons that I did not give it 1 star. I really wished that this worked better for us because the idea of a humidifier that helps to reduce the amount of bacteria in the air is really appealing.

Save 8% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment