Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Panasonic MC-UG471 Bag Upright Vacuum Cleaner

I'm glad to be back with Panasonic. I had a Panasonic vacuum that lasted at least fifteen years. Less than two years ago, in the process of blowing insulation into the walls, from the inside of the house, my beloved vacuum died. Needing one quick, I went to Consumer Reports, and, based on their recommendations, purchased an Eureka Boss. BIG MISTAKE! Pain to use, tired of getting hit in the leg with the hose, when not in use. When you needed to use the hose, you had to stop what you were doing, move the dial -hose -then move the dial back to vacuum regular. Tools falling off. You get the picture. Hated to have to vacuum!

Even though I take good care of my things (especially now a days, when nothing seems to last), the Boss broke in two, less than two years later. So, I came back to Panasonic and am VERY HAPPY I DID.

The UG471 is GREAT!

I have two non-stop shedding Siberian Huskies. This vacuum works great picking up their hair on hard wood floors and on carpeting. The tools, especially the hose, stay on board, when not in use and there is a place for all the tools on the vacuum. Retractable cord -lovely!

The only downfalls I would site -needs a longer cord (but it seems every manufacturer has shorten them to 30 feet, or less. And a "grab" place on the front, for when you do not want to use the "power paw" when vacuuming stairs.

Excellent buy/value. Next up, a new Panasonic answering machine. Goodbye crappy Uniden (another terrible Consumer Reports recommendation!).

UPDATE: If your vacuum wheel falls off, like mine did (my older model, left side/no washer's needed), and you can not find the 1/2inch cap, that prevents the wheel from coming off the axle -do not call Panasonic, for parts -instead, take the complete wheel assembly to your local hardware store, for a very inexpensive replacement cap and (if needed, for the right side, also washer parts.

After a TWO MONTH back-n-forth, frustrating circle with Panasonic, this is what I have learned: 1 They offer no parts schematic, so you can tell the Parts Department what part number you need; 2 Since you cannot tell Parts, they send your request over to "Research"; 3) Reseach only gets back to you after your repeated calling/emails; 4) Though you told them a thousand times, that you need the cap, to prevent the wheel from coming off the axle, they still send you two packs, of 10 washers each, and charge you $52.52. for the pleasure -my experience)!

Hardware store's cost: 74 cents, with tax. You want the cap that has dimples, on each side. You will need a piece of wood, because the cap will have to be hammered onto the axle. It's a bit tricky/frustrating, but takes ten minutes at most.

I cannot convey how disappointed I am, right now, with one of my favorite, long time companies. Though I expressed my displeasure, Panasonic did not respond. Shame.

10-21-12: Lessons learned this week -if you own an "Energy Star" rated refrigerator (back is closed off -no coils showing) -take that grill off, located on the bottom front, and vacuum -especially if you have pets! I never knew dust bunnies could get so large!

Save 27% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment