Sunday, June 8, 2014

iRobot Roomba 780 Vacuum Cleaning Robot

The 780 is the top of the line Roomba robotic vacuum and comes with all the bells the whistles. Questions that might be asked are:

1)Is a Roomba right for me?

2)Should I go for the 780 over the 760 or 770?

Let me address question (1) first: Is the Roomba right for me? My thoughts on the Roomba are this. It is a great little automatic vacuum/duster but it isn't perfect. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Pros:

* It's an automated vacuum. Seriously, how awesome is that? Who wants to spend a morning vacuuming when they can just let loose the tiny 'bot and go do other things? Not me.

* Adaptive logic. The brain behind how it gets every space covered.

* Programmable. iRobot encourages tech-heads to program their Roombas to get the most out of it though I haven't and I don't think it is essential.

* Date and time functions. You can program when you want the little bot to run it's cleaning cycle.

Cons:

* Small dust bin. The dust bin was reading full after vacuuming one small carpeted room before even completing its cleaning cycle.

* Not really truly set and forget just like regular vacuuming, you need to prepare the room. Think of the things you normally move around when vacuuming so you can get behind furniture or other objects. You need to pre-move everything. Do doors stay open so the Roomba can go from room to room or do you close them to get behind them and set the Roomba in each room individually?

* Lots of maintenance it says you need to de-hairs the sweeper rollers after every 3 THREE uses. Is that something you normally do for your big vac?

* Small replaceable filters no bag means the filters will get dirtier faster and will need to be replaced more often.

* Deep cleaning I guess I just don't see the little vac giving that "deep" clean that a full size unit can deliver.

Best uses:

For me, I use my Roomba as a excellent little automated duster for our hard floors. It really helps in keeping those pesky dust bunnies in check though I still need to get the swiffer out to get underneath dressers and such.

Model Selection:

The 780 is truly gorgeous. With the touch controls and finish it looks as good as any Apple product IMHO, a beautiful complement to any modern deco home.

780 vs 770 vs. 760.

All have HEPA filters and the same cleaning mechanism. The 770 and 780 have improved dust detection through added sensors and the 780 inlcudes 2 light towers to help with room to room navigation and touch controls versus buttons. Additionally my 780 came with cleaning tools for the spin brush and rollers as well as an extra set of rollers/spin brush and hepa filters.

Summary:

The Roomba is a great added tool to keeping my house clean but I am not sure I could rely on it alone to get the job done.

Edit: 7/24/12

Usage update: I've found that if I leave the Roomba unused for an extended period of time, say 2 weeks, then I run the risk of having to reset the unit. This is just weird and possibly a software glitch which I'm not sure of how to update.

Secondly, and neat way to prolong the life of those mini-filters? I vacuum them with my big vac and bang, they're back looking fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment