Monday, June 30, 2014

BISSELL Lift-Off Floors & More

I received this item as part of the Amazon Reviewers program and put it through its paces after fully charging it for 16 hours prior to its first use. I managed 14 minutes of varied use: on Berber carpet, vinyl flooring, throw rugs, shag carpet, and concrete, using both the handheld alone and with it attached to the floor sweeper.

I first noted that that suction was compromised not by the battery as much as by the amount of debris collected in the handheld's bagless container. I emptied the collection bin three times, which was done easily by removing the handheld from the unit and depressing the button on the front to open the compartment. Removing the fabric 'cup' exposed the debris which was easily dumped out. The fabric cup does get dirty quickly, but can be rinsed and air dried.

The Positives... it's very lightweight, cordless, compact and maneuverable. The head of the vac pivots easily and is low enough in profile (about 3" off the ground) that it slides under chairs, dressers, couches, etc... with ease. I found this was great for getting dust bunnies out from under my bed! It seems to have pretty good suction overall, but best on vinyl flooring with the rotating brush head attachment. It will make quick work of my kitchen and bathroom floors.

The handheld portion is easy to remove and empty (it's where the debris is collected for the whole unit). The handheld remains on only when the 'on' trigger on the handle is depressed, thus you don't waste a charge. I liked using the handheld for a quick pick-up of rice that had spilled on my kitchen counter. It did get jammed (no suction) when I vacuumed up flower petals (dried) from a hanging fushia, but the jam was easily cleared with only my fingers.

This would work well for a small apartment with tiled, hardwood or vinyl flooring. It would also be great in an RV or boat, assuming you were not a 24-7 live aboard who had pets. I speak from experience; lived aboard a 38' sailboat with two cats n' a dog for 3 years.)

The Negatives...or at least the 'Not So Greats'.

The charging time versus the amount of user time you have with this vac is not good. Admittedly, you probably won't be using it for a whole house cleaning that takes 30 minutes or more, but what if you wanted to do so? You couldn't.

The suction is adequate for most jobs, but not for deep cleaning. I tried to vacuum up dog hair off my dog's bed, and could barely move it. This was after it was fully charged this was my first task and the vac failed me. I also took the handheld out to my car to get the stuff off the mats. It did a fair job, but without attachments, it was tough to get the suction focused enough to get into corners and/or to make flush contact and maximize the suction. When the vac is fully assembled and working on a hard surface the suction is at its best and did well, but it's truly not for upholstery or carpets with any depth to them.

No bracket to mount on the wall so that you can mount and charge it? That's an oversight on Bissell's part if you ask me. No big deal in the sense that I'm sure I can figure one out and/or buy something from Rubbermaid that will fit the bill, but it seemed odd to me that this unit didn't come with one.

If you do inadvertently suck up something 'wet'... the fabric cup in the handheld gets wet and gummy. It will still work, but like the old-style vacuums with bags, it gets messed up and then you lose suction and performance.

The bottom line... it's not for everyone or every household. It would be great for those with a need for quick clean-ups of small areas on hard surfaced flooring, or those who are vacationing in boats or RV's. Those hoping to make quick work of cleaning up a patio covered in artificial turf would also like it. However, for some like me, it may not be the best choice for everyday home use. I wouldn't recommend it for pet owners who hope to use the handheld to suction up hair off their furniture, but it probably would be OK for a quick pick-up of kitty litter of the bathroom floor. Assess your needs and buy accordingly!

UPDATE: 9/25/11

I find I go to this vac for quick sweeps off my kitchen and bathroom floors, and it does an adequate job. Berber carpets are OK too, but only for bits n' pieces. It's highly maneuverable, and lightweight.

Dog hair (I have 3, 2 of whom shed quite a bit with medium length hair...) tends to choke the intake, which is inside the handheld portion of the unit. It takes pulling the handheld off the frame and getting underneath the filter to unclog it and go on.

It's good for those quick sweeps, but I wouldn't recommend it for multi-pet owners or hair salons!

UPDATE: 12/27/12

With very light use, this vac has died.

Save 23% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment