Saturday, January 4, 2014

Winix WAC5500 True HEPA Air Cleaner

I purchased this today at Fry's Electronics for $199, but really wanted a 5300 model, which they were out of as it is being discontinued. Later I found 5300 model could be purchased at Walgreens for $149. The only difference between the two as far as I can see is that there is a washable filter in the 5500, which might save me some money in the long run. My home showed "green" but I put it on the top speed to clear out the air anyway. It is loud at that speed, but very quiet at first 2 speeds. Later I will like the auto mode which switches to whatever the sensor thinks the fan should be on according to air quality. It is nice looking. I can't say much now but it seems a little overpriced to me. I did not buy the extended warranty and hope nothing goes wrong as it only has a 1 year warranty. You still must replace the carbon filters every 3 months. Besides the one in the unit they give you 3 more carbon filters so this should last a year but maybe more if I vacuum it. The other washable filter should be washed every 6 months and can be washed 6 times and then must be replaced.

UPDATE: 6/6/11 I really like the Winix 5500, so much that I purchased a Winix 5300 from Walgreens and in the future will get the washable filter that Winix 5500 uses and put it in the 5300.

Both machines are quiet, clears the air, are sensitive to air quality. My rooms appear to be so much fresher and I'm happy with my purchases.

Save 17% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment