Sunday, November 2, 2014

Frigidaire FRA053PU1 5,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner

Purchased this unit a few weeks ago to cool a small office room (about 120sf). I was skeptical when I bought it because I was unsure how well portable AC units could be. The unit works really well and is very nice looking. The blowers are somewhat loud but given the small size of my room that is to be expected. It's not annoying loud. My only complaints were the poor documentation regarding the drainage. There are two drainage outlets. The upper one requires a garden hose attachment. This is only required if you are using the unit in the dehumidifier mode (which I am not). The instructions about this one were clear. The second drainage port is very small at the bottom of the unit. There were no specific instructions about this. It has a soft rubber cap. Once a day I place a shallow tin (pie tin) and drain the water. This is really important otherwise you will have a leak on your floor. Ideally you would hook up some type of small tube to drain. The only problem is that this drain is only about an inch above the floor which makes draining somewhat clumsy.

You do need to vent the unit and it comes with a good length, expandable, 6" thick plastic vent tube. I believe it stretches to 6 feet. Also comes with a window adapter.

Aside from the drainage issue, the unit seems very well made and works wonderfully. Comes with a remote control which I have not used.

No comments:

Post a Comment