Sunday, November 30, 2014

Friedrich CP18G30

I bought this to replace a thru the wall GE 15,000 btu unit that had been in place for 15 years with 0 problems but suddenly died during the recent heat wave. Due to it's age I did not explore the option of repair and went for a new unit. The existing unit had cooled the entire 1st floor of my small house with no problems and when I shut a door to divide the 1st floor it kept both the office and bedroom which are right across from each other very cool at night on a low power saver option.

This 18,000 btu should have been more powerful but does not come anywhere near the cooling power of the old GE. It does cool the the 8 x 10 office but even on the lowest temp setting & top fan speed does not really push any cool air past that room. I had used PC Richards to survey and determine needed btu's before purchase and then paid them 300$ for installation so it is not installed incorrectly the unit is just not all that it should be.

If it was not for the fact that it is a wall unit and diffcult to take out I would return it. I am so sorry I did not try to fix the old one or used Amazon to purchase a model with reviews and done the install myself. I am now in the process of using Amazon to purchase a window AC for the bedroom sine this new unit does not do the job.

This new unit is also noisy, I would have thought newer units would be quieter than a 15+ year old AC but not so, I need to have the TV very loud to hear over it. I would be fine with the noise if it cooled more than the small room it is in.

The only good thing I can say is it does have a remote which the old one did not,but the instruction book does not give any instructions on what the symbols mean on the remote. When trying to use the remote I had to do a lot of expermenting to set it manually and then check what the remote showed. It does have a timer feature but again instructions so unclear I have yet to figure it it out.

I will never buy a Friedrich again and hope this may help folks looking to replace their thru the wall AC.

No comments:

Post a Comment