Friday, March 21, 2014

Winix FresHome Model P450 True HEPA Air Cleaner

I received my Winix today, so this is my initial rating and impression.

Like:

Easy to set up

Has a remote

Looks nice

VERY quiet on low speed

Moves a lot of air on Turbo

Dislike:

Cannot shut off Plasmawave

3-Stage Filtration vs. 5-Stage in other Winix models

High and Turbo modes produce a VERY noticable "whistling" noise

To elaborate on my dislikes. Since this unit had a remote, I was hoping that they preserved the on/off feature from other Winix units for the Plasmawave. No such luck. This was a bit of a disappointment but not a deal breaker in and of itself. However, this brings me to my second issue.

Turning this on High or Turbo produces a very noticeable whistling or whine. This noise is NOT the Plasmawave (that has a distinct chirping noise and is surprisingly hard to detect); it almost sounds like a bad fan or harmonics from moving so much air. Looking at the unit at max settings, there is a slight vibration which makes me suspect that the fan is unbalanced.

I will let it run for a day or two and see if it goes away on its own... but I suspect that I may have to return the unit for another. I didn't see this noise mentioned in any of the other reviews, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

[UPDATE: 03/26/2013]

I received a second unit and it demonstrated the same high pitched noise. I tried to ignore it, but it's been driving both me and my wife crazy. The fan also pulsates (doesn't maintain constant revolutions at a given speed), adding to the annoyance. I don't know if I received two lemons, but ended up buying the Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet. So far the WAC9500 is awesome.

Hope this helps someone.

Save 13% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment