Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sunpentown SF-609 Evaporative Air Cooler

I really wanted to like this item. I live in hot dry west Texas, it's near 100 today and humidity is single digit; not unusual for this time of year, but damned uncomfortable. I did a lot of research and mostly saw that people were using portable swamp coolers where the humidity is too high for them. But the humidity is not high here, so I was really looking forward to plugging mine in and filling it up and having a little cool spot. :( I am very sad and disappointed to report that it's been running for a couple of hours now, and it's not very cool at all. OK, maybe it's a little better than nothing, but it's not cool, and I should probably save electricity by turning it off and leaving the house! The instructions say to use as much ice as possible and sit as close as possible, ha ha!! When I set the machine up, the room was 94 degrees, it's still 94. Save your money, go to an air conditioned space, save up to buy a proper swamp cooler, or just live in the swimming pool.

I give two stars because the unit is easy to work with, very light, easy to fill, nice casters, fairly quiet.

Just put a whole bag of ice into the machine, and filled the "ice box" on top as well. Now I definitely feel a tinge of coolness. Not a lot, but a tinge. I personally do not think it is unreasonable to expect to get better cooling for $100, but that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment