Thursday, August 1, 2013

IQAir® New Edition HealthPro® Plus Air Purifier

I like the machine for all the reasons stated by others: it works, it's powerful enough, the filters seem to be high quality and intelligently designed, etc. I did alot of research online and I'm glad I did, the world of air purifiers is a confusing one. But this has not disappointed.

However, like several other customers I had the dreaded "what is that funky paint/chemical smell coming from the machine?" moment happen a few days ago. I've only had it 3 weeks, but I had read the reviews on here so I knew something was up and that it wasn't just me. I now finally understand what causes it.

I spoke with a very helpful fellow at IQAir and he explained that it was probably the V5 filter (i then took apart the machine and tested each filter one at a time in the machine start with the pre-filter, then add in the V5, then the HEPA and smelled the air output with each one yep it was the V5).

What happens with the V5 filter is it contains charcoal and it soaks up stuff in the air (odors, chemicals, etc.) whether the machine is running or not. So where the machine is stored, how long it is stored, how it's shipped, the kind of container (styrofoam, plastic?) it is stored and shipped in, etc. can mean that the filter gets lots of "usage" before it ever shows up at your door.

The purifier came in a cardboard box inside of a cardboard box, but the filters were not individually wrapped, so I'm pretty sure that it got stored in a warehouse somewhere for too long and just soaked up stuff. Maybe forklift exhaust. :)

I called Amazon to get some help. They handle customer service for the actual seller, Mr Vac and Mrs Sew. I explained the problem and they offered me a partial refund on the cost of the purifier, which was enough to get a new V5 filter .

So there it is. Now for a few possible solutions that I hope the seller and the manufacturer read and put into practice:

The best solution by far is for IQAir to individually wrap and seal each filter before putting them in boxes and shipping them to re-sellers. Then add a step to assembly where the purchasers take each filter out of the sealed wrapper and put them in the purifier. The machine is pretty simple, adding this step wouldn't be much of a bother for the consumer.

IQAir can't control what re-sellers do and where they store things. Yet, if a consumer has this problem, as many of us have, we tend to associate it with the product, that means the IQAir brand takes a hit and I think they should change this process in order to preserve what is otherwise a very superior product.

The next best solution would be alot more work and seems kind of silly, but...the re-sellers would need to be careful about where they store these machines and for how long. They would need a freshness date of some sort and to be stored in a "clean room". I know, it's ridiculous. But it's the only alternative to the first solution I could think of.

Again, overall a great machine, but there is one clear improvement they could make and I hope they do.

Save 5% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment