Monday, July 1, 2013

Miele S6270 Quartz Canister Vacuum Cleaner

Buying a new vacuum is a tricky purchase. There are so many different things to factor in, so many different brands and models, and so many price points that you end up not wanting to buy one at all to save yourself the headache. I put off buying one for 2 years. With only hardwood and linoleum floors and no area rugs, I managed to get by with a broom, Swiffer and a mop. Eventually getting by wasn't good enough, and with 2 small children, a clowder of cats and a boyfriend with seasonal allergies and recent onset asthma, I dove back into reviewing vacuums.

Miele has always been a brand that has been recommended highly, but the price has always put me off. I've fallen into the trap of inexpensive vacuums before, and the lack of power was frustrating, and they often come with a fairly short shelf life (I've read lots of reviews of Miele owners whose vacuums went the 20 year or beyond distance before requiring a replacement.) I've had a Dyson before, which remained with my ex-husband after our split, and while it was a good vacuum, I didn't want another upright vacuum (they're heavy, bulky, and I find them harder to maneuver) and I really didn't want to deal with another bagless vacuum. Cleaning out the dust canister was a disgusting job, and would be impossible if I had any allergies or asthma myself.

So, after considering some of the options, and some of the mixed reviews on other brands, I finally looked at Miele again. One of the things I like the most is that all of their models use the same 1200 watt motor. Buying the cheaper model doesn't make you feel like you're losing out on power. Extra money buys you more features, but I wasn't in need of a lot of those (powered floor tools etc. for flooring I don't have.) The Quartz is listed as ideal for the type of flooring I have (hard floor/low-med pile rugs & carpet), and is also the least expensive of the Miele models that came with the sealed system construction, very important to me with an allergy sufferer/asthmatic. It has a bag, and while there's the added cost of the bags, so far I've vacuumed a lot (including lots of crunched up kid cereal and tracked cat litter) and the bag is still not even halfway full after a month. When you open up the vacuum, the bag seals off the hole, so no dust spillage either.

The canister is small and surprisingly light (my 4-year-old can lift it), and it maneuvers very easily. It doesn't make a lot of noise, though the cats are still not thrilled about it. I like the clip that you can put the floor tool into for a break, so you don't need to prop it against a wall or furniture. While I'm sure that the filter it comes with is probably perfectly fine, I did buy the separate HEPA filter due to the allergic asthmatic in the household. The air the vacuum expels is super clean, you can put your face in it and not notice any dust at all. It's wonderful.

I really couldn't be happier with this purchase. The option through Amazon for 0% financing if paid in 6 months sealed the deal and made the price tag less of a lump to swallow.

Save 9% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment