Monday, July 1, 2013

Plaston International Corp. Air-O-Swiss 7533 Deminral Granules Pk/3

I agree with some reviewers that refilling the cartridge take a little extra hand-eye coordination, and is a bit time-consuming and definitely more of an annoyance than you want to deal with re: a humidifier.. I found that just snipping off a corner of the bag allows a little more control in pouring the granules. I also plug up the center cavity with a wad of wet paper towel. Wet towels are better than dry because the grains will stick to the wet paper more readily when you pull it out.

All this being said, I'm writing this review to underscore an option that the instruction manual mentioned, and which I've learned to swear by. USE DISTILLED WATER in the reservoir. It's 59 cents a gallon or cheaper at your local giant-grocer. No white powder whatsoever, and you never have to clean the tank with Air-O-Swiss's gimmicky powder cleaners. Using distilled water, you can just unscrew the water-purifying cylinder from the reservoir cap and throw it in the garbage (or, if you're hate throwing anything out, just put back in the box which you most likely saved and are keeping in the basement). I'm a lawyer and a skeptic by nature, and I don't think that the "purifying beads" do anything substantive. Even a fresh filter leaves that white powder. Frankly, I think that the money saved in not buying the company's custom-designed external expenses is far outweighed by the money spent on "fancy" distilled water. I can't help but think of the cost of printer ink when I think of these water filters; you buy the base unit (printer/humidifier) for a good deal, not realizing how much more money you will be forking over in the maintenance of the darn thing.

This is a humidifier, after all, not a life-support machine. There are two options; dealing with the vaguely annoying white powder, or spending a little extra money on something that will avoid the nuisance of cleaning up the white powder. Personally, I prefer spending my money on store-bought distilled water than some chemically questionable "white beads" (what are they made out of, anyway?? Are they recyclable? Is there any data on how much these bead actually "purify" the water? And does the production of these beads use non-renewable resources? Don't ask Air-O-Swiss...they won't tell you). On the other hand, I know how distilled water is made. And I can tell you from personal experience that using distilled water keeps the humidifier in tip-top, brand-new-looking shape. When the "clean" light on my unit comes on, I just reset without thinking. There's nothing to clean. You could use distilled water for years and still have less buildup than one or two uses of regular tap water (filtered or otherwise, I would argue).

Well, enough of my ranting and raving in favor of distilled water. I think I've made my feelings clear. In response to the reviews from members who complained about the high cost of filter replacement in their hard-water environments, this is my "perfect" solution to you. Take it for what it's worth.

Save 13% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment