Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Berkey BL4X2-BB Light Water Filtration System

Christchurch was recently rocked by a series of two major unrelated quakes. The Sep 4, 2010 7.1 quake did a lot of damage but the 6.3 of Feb 22, 2011 was much closer and shallower and destroyed most of the business district. My home was in the hardest hit Eastern suburbs along the Avon River. Since these quakes began we had almost 1700 aftershocks. My house is still standing although most of my neighbors are not. I had the foresight to buy a Berkey 8 months before the quakes began. My initial thought was that I did not need to store any water as I could take it from the river across the street to purify. But the day of the first quake all the water in the river disappeared and came up a liquefaction in the road and property. The only water left in the river was a white sludge which would have clogged any purifier. I was able to get some municipal water and use the Berkey to purify that. It has been in constant use since the quakes began. Although the city says the water is safe, several friends have reported strange infections they attribute to the water. So, I will continue to purify the water and have not had any of these problems. The water tastes wonderful and makes a drop at a time but fairly quickly. My only complaints are that the instructions were not clear how the washers on the tap go on (they are not symmetrical) so I had a few leaks the first time I used it. Also, the device is called "Berkey Light" so I assumed it was the model that has the LEDs built in to illuminate it at night; it does not. That model is called the Berkey Light LED. The use of the word Light is misleading. Now I wish I could have had the model with the LEDs as power was off for a considerable time. The device looks a bit top heavy and looks unstable but so far it has not fallen over in some large aftershocks. Maybe the company can invent a device to secure it. During the latest quake I didn't have water for over one month. This device is a lifesaver and I am purchasing extra filters for it just in case Planet X shows up one day in the future...

Save 5% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment