Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Winix 5000 Air Cleaner

I spent I don't know how many hours researching, looking for my next air purifier. I have a Honeywell for my living room, but it's about 7-8 years old (still works, amazing enough, being on 24/7) so it's an older model that is not the quietest. Even on low setting, I can hear it anywhere in the room. So I was looking for something for the bedroom that would be QUIET but still effective. Read reviews and research for maybe 20 different models/brands, and settled on giving the Winix 5000 a shot. I could not be happier (so far).

I've only had it running for about a month now, but it IS quiet. There are 5 speed settings, and you cannot hear it at either of the 2 lowest settings. At the middle setting, you can hear it, but it's still quieter than my Honeywell at it's lowest setting. It really moves the air through, you can feel it and smell the difference if you're dealing with any odors or off-gassing from anything. I just bought a new dresser, had unplugged the air purifier so the delivery guys could bring the dresser in and set it up. Didn't plug it back in for a while. Dresser has that not unpleasant "new furniture" smell, but some of this is off-gassing from the glues used with the wood. Anyway, I plugged the purifier back in that night, set it at the middle speed, and within an hour that smell was gone and remains gone. This tells me the purifier really is working and working well. (Because furniture will off-gas for weeks.)

They do only give a 1 year warranty on this product, which sucks, because it's a bit pricey at just under $300. (Honeywell gives like 3 or 5 years on their units. Or they used to.) So I hope it holds up well and long. Other than this short warranty period, I'm very happy with this unit.

Note: The manufacturer had a sticker on the front of the unit, advertising something about the unit, and in peeling it off, it left a glue residue that didn't come off with soapy water. I called them and they sent me a new cover at no charge, which I thought showed good service by the company. (The cover removes easily as the filters go behind this). I didn't try using a "goo-gone" type cleaner, concerned it would take the color off. But after I got the new cover, figured what the heck, let's see if a cleaning solvent would work on the "old" cover. It did, and did not take the silver color off at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment