Monday, July 14, 2014

Vicks Nursery 1.2G Humidifier

My 15 month old daughter has a lot of sinus issues, so it's imperative that we run a humidifier in her room every night. The first humidifier I bought for her was the Kaz/Vicks 4100 impeller humidifier, and while I'll admit that it puts out a lot of mist and humidifies the room very well, it's nearly impossible to clean fully.

My biggest complaint is that a lot of the spinning and moving parts are encased in a plastic housing that you can't get into, and when I finally unscrewed the housing, the inside was caked in pink mold. Now, when I say I "unscrewed" the housing, I don't mean with a normal screwdriver. The screws are a special shape to keep people from being able to unscrew them and open the housing. Luckily, I had the appropriate screw tip in my toolbox, but when I opened up the housing, I was horrified by what I saw. This product is designed in such a way as to limit your ability to access and clean the most vital moving parts, so it is effectively a mold growing and mold spewing machine.

The mist output is great, but if the mist is spraying mold spores into your child's room, I'm thinking that's probably not a good thing. Ya think?

P.S. Consumer Reports rated the Safety 1st Ultrasonic 360 Degree Humidifier as one of their "Best Buys," and boy did they hit the nail on the head. I just bought one, and couldn't be happier with my choice. It costs $30, doesn't use filters, it's easy to clean, and the mist output is perfect. Having "been there" and "done that" with all these humidifiers, I can safely say that I'm finally satisfied with my purchase. Save your money on this one, and go buy the Safety 1st instead.

Save 17% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment