Friday, July 11, 2014

Essick Air H12-400 3-Speed Evaporative Console Humidifier

I like the design and operation of this humidifier. In fact, I have two of them. Ace Hardware gave me extra-fast delivery -no complaints with Ace. The machines humidify very efficiently, put out a lot of moisture, and (unlike many others) are reasonably easy to maintain. Normally it will run fine on low or medium fan settings. Forget about the high fan speed; it sounds like a helicopter taking off.

The first one I bought worked fine some of the time, but generally would not start up again after the humidistat controller automatically shut it off. Through much trial and error, I figured out that you have to center the wick precisely on its hanger rail that runs along the inside of the water chamber so the float aligns correctly. Great -problem solved, although poorly explained in the brief instruction sheet.

Then, at the beginning of the second winter dry season here on the high plains, the motor began to squeal, seize, and stop, especially at low speeds. On high, it would slowly start and then scream for a while and finally run -except it practically shook the unit apart and made it dance along the floor. After a day or so, it would no longer start at all. Clearly the bearings in the motor were shot.

I was about to junk it, when I thought to check the warranty. Sure enough, the warranty ran for a year. I had eight days left!!

I contacted Essick Air via email and a very nice customer service rep put me onto the person in charge of the warranty work. This second person sent form emails that were curt and blunt, but, in fairness, did address my problem. Getting the return papers could not be done via email, and took about two weeks to arrive by snail mail.

Alas, I would have to return the fan power head (they call it the "chassis") to them for repair. This, even though an authorized repair shop here in Denver is less than a half-mile from my condo.

I bought a large shipping box, packed the unit well, and lugged it on my back five blocks to UPS. $33.00 to send it to the factory (in Georgia, I think?), but they promised to reimburse me (and did).

About a month later, with no communication, the chassis arrives back here in my original packing, repaired with a new motor. However, I open the carton, take out the chassis, and it falls apart in my hands! Yup, it's repaired, but not screwed back together. The screws are lying loose in the bottom of the box and all four screw holes are stripped. The electronics have fallen out and are dangling from their wires.

The prospect of sending it back yet again is now so daunting that I take it into my little work closet and actually reassemble it myself, more or less, and screw it together with larger screws. It was one of those two-hour deals where you wish you were four-handed with long, narrow, double-jointed fingers. I have no idea if all the inside pieces are back in their actual slots or not, but it seems to work OK for now. Pray it does not catch on fire some day.

I contacted Essick Air's customer service rep just to tell them about the poor repair and got a very passionate apology and a promise to take it up with higher-ups and get back to me. I did not ask for it, but thought I might actually get a new "chassis" out of the deal. I'm not really comfortable with my backyard repair job.

Of course, after that I heard nothing ever again. The higher ups had obviously ducked the problem.

Maybe it's the fact that I am a retired marketing executive and know better myself, but it amazes me that a national company with a famous brand name would not treat me a little better when fulfilling the terms of a warranty. The customer service person could not have been nicer, but after that the treatment was suspicious, curt, abrupt, and, well, unsophisticated.

The documents I was sent were full of warnings and self-protective disclaimers, but showed little concern for my broken product or my work returning it: if they found that I did not really have a warranty claim, I would have to pay for shipping both ways ($33.00 out, and, were I so foolish to want a broken fan unit, another $33.00 back). Or I could pay for repairs in advance.

All this "attitude" and they had not even looked at my problem yet. The unit as I described it to them was pretty clearly broken, it was obviously a burnt out motor bearing, it must have happened more than once. I felt strongly that they were trying to get me to give up on the warranty. The whole approach implied that I was nuts for even bothering them and probably trying to cheat them. All this for a $10 motor!

From my point of view, of course, it's about a $150 item that ought to last longer than a year. Much longer.

Oh, yeah, that second one I bought? It arrived, brand new, with a squeak in the fan that even I can hear -and I'm partly deaf. Not quite loud enough to send back though, so we use it on a lower floor. Could never use it in the bedroom. Other than the squeak, it works great. Will it last a year? Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment