Monday, March 9, 2015

Hamilton BeachStay or Go Digital Thermal Coffeemaker

I was given this as a gift. I found reviews for it (either the model in all black or brushed aluminum) favorable. Some people rated it negatively because they failed to read any directions and didn't press the "PRESS TO POUR" button on the carafe. Instead they unscrewed the top off and said it spilled when pouring. RTFM You always have to look to see if bad reveiws are due to the user's mistakes and lack of knowledge of the reviewer. They often are.

The two most negative things is...

1. When making a full pot I almost always get a lot of grinds. The problem is that the filter cup fills too quickly and the water level goes over the height of the paper filter. I've tried to find a taller filter, but they seem to all be the same size. Usually I either do a single mug (three 6 oz. cup servings) or the full carafe(10 servings). I can't recall if I've tried 6 or 8 servings to see if grinds are an issue there.

2. the plastic travel mugs retain water between the stainless steel outer shell and the inner plastic shell. UNtil I realized what the issue was, they would dribble (dish/cleaning water not coffee) when I drank from them. I find water gets in between especially after a run in the dishwasher. To get the water out, hold them by the bottom. With them facing upside down wave the mug back and forth (like a pendulum). Do it very quickly and the water will shake out. Once I found the problem, the constant dribble from a clean cup stopped. They keep the coffee reasonably warm for a while. Especially if you run hot water in the mugs before you use them-so they don't leech heat from the coffee to equalize.

3. the Hour/Minute buttons might be too easy hit and change the clock time. They should have a set button. I haven't done it, but that's the only negative.

For singles or a lone couple this is great.

I like the double spout so I can brew one mug, two mugs or a whole pot.

No need to dirty the carafe when I'm making small amounts which is 95% of the time.

The Timed brew is easy to set and works well.

I use unbleached paper cup filters. (this uses a bucket, not the cone shaped filters.)

The coffee bucket lifts out on a loop handle and is easy to dispose of grinds.

The instructions it gave on measures of coffee were good. When I used the instruction on the brand of ground coffee, the coffee tasted terrible. The coffee company said to use almost twice as much ground coffee than Hamilton Beach says.

I've already experimented with Torino's sugar free vanilla syrup, and some ground cinnamon in the coffee bucket add a great cinnamon spice without the sharp taste of the grains of cinnamon floating on top of the coffee.

I've had the coffee maker about two years now. Despite being mostly plastic, I've had no breakdowns. Nothing has fallen off or cracked.

Feb 2013

Coffee maker still going strong. I rarely use the carafe, but the travel mugs are still how I make coffee every day.

Save 21% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment