Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Eureka AirExcel NLS Bagless Upright Vacuum

I have the original Eureka AirSpeed (the yellow one) which I bought when it first came out. That one is much better than this one, I will say that right off the bat.

This vacuum is easy to put together takes literally 5 minutes. That is a nice plus.

Most of the body is a hard acrylic-like plastic, but it does feel fairly solid/sturdy.

It is not too heavy this one won't give you a backache and you will not have to strain to carry it around or use it in general. It *feels* self propelled, just like the original, although neither actually are self propelled.

You can lay the body down almost flat, so it is easy to get under the table, chairs or even your bed.

The suction power is ok, but I have seen better and I would by NO MEANS compare this to a Dyson like the box proclaims, nor would I compare it to any array of many other vacuums that I have owned over the years. Again, the original AirSpeed has much better suction power.

What I don't like about it are the following -

The hose does not lock into place on the unit. It just slips into a tube on the side. You just pull it out when you want to use the hose/attachments. I find that it works itself loose and starts to come out of the tube on the body while I am vacuuming. Several times I have had to push it back down into place because the dirt/dust/dander was flying up all over the place at me. I imagine that after taking the hose in and out of the tube over time with just normal use, it is going to become even more loose. You are essentially wearing away at both the tube and the hose.

The dirt cup(!?!) Ugh, this thing aggravates me! As the dust collects in these bagless vacs, you get that whole tornado like swirling clump of dirt, hair, etc, right? Well, on this vac it seems that it ALWAYS clumps up, up in the top where the suction empties into the body. So, my dirt cup never actually gets filled. Yes, it is definitely assembled correctly, put together properly, checked/double checked... still clumps up where it's not supposed to.

If you have used a similar type of vac, you will know that the top part of the dirt cup where the filter is, needs to be cleaned off now and then and every once in a while you will get a collection of hair/dirt up in there that you have to sort of dig out from inside the dirt cup (for convenience, instead of taking that whole top piece off) well with this vac, I ALWAYS have a wad of hair/dirt up there that I have to try and get my fingers up between that flanged part and the housing. It's either that or try to get it ut with a pencil etc, or take the whole top piece off too. It is a pain in the rear to have to take apart both sections every single time you vacuum. There are many times where I have to stop in the middle of just doing one carpet because it is clogged up there at the top because all of the debris is not going down into the dirt canister where it's supposed to. It just wants to stay up at the top where it empties into. This is just a bad build design. The original AirSpeed is not like that at all.

I find that it spits stuff back out at my feet even when vacuuming carpet. I expect this to happen with a roller brush on hard floor surfaces, but this shouldn't happen on carpet! I have adjusted the height controls and it makes no difference.

The roller brush cannot be turned off, so it makes doing hard surfaces a challenge as it will of course spit things back out at you. You cannot turn the brush off on the original yellow version either, so I was used to that, but I will say that the original works better on hard floors than this one.

I find that I have to go over the same areas a few times just to pick up random pieces of lint or fuzz. Vacuuming should not be this difficult or require this much work! Our bedroom carpet is a dark navy blue, so I see every single fuzz, lint, hair etc. I can see what it's not picking up. Makes me wonder about the light colored rugs where not every little thing shows up so much unless it is a darker color... wonder what it is leaving behind.

Using the hose and attachments is just fine. The hose is rather long, plus it stretches a good bit too, so you can easily reach more places. The upholstery head with spin brush is nice for pet hair on furniture or cleaning the carpet in the car, the stairs, etc. I even do my mattress now and then with it and I use it to get under the bed in the center where the vac itself can't go. The small crevice tool is great, much like any crevice tool. Same with the dusting piece you can dust shelves etc as well as curtains and drapes, of course. I like the dusting piece for vacuuming the leather sofa. It helps get the little random dog hairs better and easier than just the hose alone. (We have a short haired dog).

When I turn the vac off, it makes sort of a clicking/ticking noise and sounds as if it is dying off. It makes you think there is something in the beater/roller bar/brush that is hitting against it as it slows down to stop once it is powered off. There is nothing there though, so I have no idea why it does this. The original doesn't do this.

All in all, I can not recommend this vacuum at all. Stick to the original yellow Eureka AirSpeed, if you like the AirSpeed series. That one really is excellent for the price. Never thought I would be complaining because a product doesn't "suck," but here I am...

Save 9% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment