Thursday, January 15, 2015

Homedics Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier

It's been 3 month of almost continuous use and I have only one complaint... if I run the unit on full blast all the time (I have it in my 200 sq.ft. bedroom now), I eventually find it sitting in a puddle of water. I believe this is due to condensation, meaning the air in the room has become so humid that the mist condensates back into water around the unit's base instead of staying in the air. To combat this problem, I've turned the mist/humidity control down to halfway. I also placed the base on a Van Ness pet food mat: Van Ness Food Mat for Dogs and Cats that I bought at a local pet supply store for under $10, and I keep a wash cloth nearby to wipe up the drips when I lift the tank to refill it. The mat keeps the puddled water from ruining anything, if it develops again, which it hasn't so far, because the lip on the mat keeps the water on the mat. These things seem to have worked, and (knocking on wood) so far I haven't seen another puddle. I'll keep the mat under it though anyway.

The humidity in the room is enough now that the static issues are gone and my skin and sinuses feel way better; I'm no longer so stuffy at night or dried out. I'm going to buy another one of these (and another pet food mat) for my office.

I have a couple of Venta-Sonic VS100 ultrasonic humidifiers in my house too. Both of those units are over 7 years old now and run pretty much full time in the winter as well. One unit sits in my living room and the other is in an upstairs hallway. Both of these locations are near the largest RETURN air vents for my HVAC system so the humidified air can also circulate throughout the house.

These units also do the same thing with water pooling underneath, but only when the humidity around the unit is high enough to make it condense, or I didn't screw on the lid to the tank properly or I didn't place the tank on the base properly. Both of those units are on waterproof mats too. I have also turned down the humidity level controls to help prevent the condensation, but lately it's been very dry here in Colorado so I have to run them full blast.

I highly recommend everyone running ultrasonic humidifiers use some sort of waterproof catch mat under them, and keep a wash cloth nearby too. Make sure the mat has a lip all the way around the edge to prevent any pooling water from escaping.

Save 36% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment